Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Cheated by The Roman Army Guys...


I was in Rome, visiting the ruins of the Coliseum..

As I was walking alone with my camera,  I met two guys in Roman army paraphernalia complete with mock-up swords, shields and armour. " Hello my friend, where are you from", one of the stocky guy called me. "Malaysia!", I replied.  " Oh.. I know, I know, tallest building in the world.. twin tower..yes, nice country...", I felt so pleasantly surprised. My small country way,way in the far east is known to this Roman Soldier wanna be.

I didn't know that the Romans were so friendly and knowledgable, I thought to myself.

"Come, we take photo", he invited me to stand next to him and his pal. Then he called one of the tourists walking by to snap a few photos of the three of us. Then as the guy gave me back my camera,  my Roman army 'friend' said, " 20 Euros please!". "What??", I said. "That was for the photo, 10 for me and 10 for him, pointing to his pal.  I was dumbfounded. 20 Euros is lot of money, about 80 Ringgit can buy a lot of Kentucky Fried Chicken in my country!

But looking at their well built body and swords (though fake still can inflict damage), I relented.. "I don't have that much money, 5 Euros OK?".  " Ok 5 for me 5 for him, OK 10 Euros", he replied. And so I parted  with my lunch money.... :-)

Although I was furious just after the  incident but now I  tell it  with a smile when I think of how  foolish and gullible I was.

I will not fall for such tricks again.

No comments:

Post a Comment